Final Blog Post

 How does music serve society?

    Music has always played a huge role in people's lives for as long as time goes. There is a sense of connection between music and people and their need/desire to create or just listen. There are certain genres of music that some people feel like it fits a certain type of person shaping society. For example, Gilbergalindo.com states that some people feel like classical music is for rich older people. Not only is this felt by people but also it is promoted by movies, plays, and books.

    With that being said about classical music leads towards a stereotype that leads me to to other genres of music that have stereotypes tagged along with them. I think that the stereotypes that are shaped around genres of music end up shaping society into certain types of people that sometimes end up shaping people's lifestyles and the way that they dress. The country music stereotype about people who listen to it is that they are dumb and drink a lot of beer. Wearing cutoff flannels with jeans and boots. The rap music stereotype is people who are troublemakers and do drugs. these types of stereotypes have shaped our society in ways that classify people the way that create divides in people.

    I believe that whatever a person enjoys listening to can give them an escape when time gets tough or can keep them happy when things are good. music can make you feel all the emotions and I think that is the beautiful thing behind it. My favorite time listening to music is when I'm winding down for the evening playing the serene calming music that you hear in spas that makes you want to fall asleep and your thoughts just erase. It is my favorite me time. My other favorite time is when I'm driving in the car alone and I am able to blast whatever my heart desires and I can escape the feelings that I am having. Music has always played a major role in society and has shaped it in so many ways. Two of the most impactful songs to society is "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" by The Beatles and “Sunday Bloody Sunday” by U2. 


U2 – “Sunday Bloody Sunday”

The musical element that I found in "Sunday Bloody Sunday" is that the song is written with the use of D chords like a lot of their songs keeping a recognizable sound for U2. The tones in the song also switches from high-pitched tones to bono. This song was released in March 1982 under Windmill Lane Studios in Dublin. This song is a political song that was about the horrors that were felt by the observers in North Ireland where civilian protesters were killed by British troops.


The Beatles – “I Wanna Hold Your Hand” 


This song is a happy uplifting song with a tempo of 131 BPM. Songbpm.com states that It has a ling G key and with the 4 beats per bar, it is not very danceable. This song was very popular and The Beatles were a statement for their time. This song was released in November 1963 in the UK. This song was a hit from the time it was released. the only thing that held it back from reaching the top was a previous song that The Beatles released. Two weeks after the song was released it finally hit number 1 and stayed there for 5 weeks and stayed in the top 50 for almost a year. The song was written to appeal to the American market.

     Throughout this course, my perspective of music has changed significantly and I am able to see music more for what it is and the impact that it provides. Music has added so much to every corner of the world. it shapes cultures and the significance of songs can have a heavy weight on the culture or none at all. The elements that lie behind every song are more than I can even comprehend and the depth that is behind the words and the tone of the music making it all flow together is absolutely beautiful. I think that since this course I will be able to see the beauty behind the music I listen to and the complexity that it took to make the music flow together the way that it does.

Sources:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musical Analysis #2

Musical Analysis #1 "Don't Worry Be Happy"

Scottish Folk Music