Musical Analysis #1 "Don't Worry Be Happy"

 Growing up my family would always turn on the speakers throughout the whole house and play all different kinds of music for our Saturday morning cleanings. After all the chores were done in the summer we would then go and swim in our pool, if I got to pick the song that day my first choice was always Don't Worry Be Happy! It felt so effortless and nothing else mattered that day outside of having fun with my family. The song just always seemed to match the way I felt about those summer days.












Click below to hear the full song!
Don't Worry Be Happy - Bobby McFerrin - 1988

Lyrics

It is stated in Oldtimemusic.com that Bobby McFerrin's song quickly became a hit to people from all different walks of life. I can see how honestly because it might just be the pick-me-up you need after a long work week. The lyrics go into how life might feel really heavy with all these bills and other struggles that you might be facing but it is important sometimes to forget about all those big life problems and to focus on what's good in the moment and be happy with that. 

This song has a beautiful melody and paired with the vocal chords it makes the song so catchy.

Melody and vocal chords

The song kicks off with Bobby McFerrin whistling the rhythm and in the background, there is the beat being snapped and also another background vocal chord singing "oh oh" With all these different sounds put together it makes a beautiful rhythm then about 30 seconds in he starts the melody. The tempo if it relaxed in a way that you could just lay back in the sun and let your thoughts drift away. throughout the song, it stays pretty consistent and has a definite pattern but it's so uplifting you want to keep listening. The chorus and name of the song are "Don't worry be happy" which was actually inspired by Meher Baba, an Indian spiritual master who once quoted this.

The thing that really made this song stand out at the time was that there were no instruments used for this song at all. Bobby McFerrin made the creative decision to do a cappella style song and it was the first a cappella song in the top 100 to reach number 1. The way he layered his different voices to make the rhythm was a spectacular decision that won him a Grammy.

Timber choices

This song offers no timbre because he produces this song only with his voice. It is a soft melody and slow-paced beat. I don't think that there would be any benefit to adding any percussion to this song.

Chord Choices

The chord choices for this song are what made it. The entire song was based on the different vocal chords that made up the music to the song. I noticed at least three different vocal chords that are put together. I think that the song has a simplicity about it but complex in the making. It's easy to make the sounds he does and sing the lyrics but to make it sound right and have the same swing the way his does would be difficult. 

Intangibles

I can really connect with this song because of the way it feels so effortless. I like that it even includes big life stressors and says that it's okay to take moments to sit back and not worry. It has an overall cheerfulness to it and at the same time encouraging. I can see children listening to this song on a hot summer day or as adults driving home from work on a Friday. even retirees I can see listening to this song as they sit outside waving at all the people passing by. 

Sources:

Bobby McFerrin: Don’t worry, be happy! Jazzfuel. (2024, January 9). https://jazzfuel.com/bobby-mcferrin/

McFerrin, B. (2009, February 25). Bobby McFerrin - Don’t worry be happy (official music video). YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU

 

Comments

Olivia said…
I must admit, I'm not a big fan of whistling and clapping in music, but in this song, I cant imagine it any other way. I first heard this song in a commercial, but listening to the full version gave me a different interpretation. This song is the perfect antidote for a bad day, I enjoyed it!
Amanda K. said…
I'm mostly familiar with this song from cheesy used car commercials, which didn't really draw me to the song, but from watching the (hilarious) music video, apparently there's a lot more to it! I never realized it was a cappella. Timbre is the quality of the sound, of his voice in this case -- I would describe it as a bit warm, mellow (leans "dark" vs. "bright"), almost dry/smoky, with a kind of internal bounce. I'm sure there are other ways to describe it and that other people might perceive it differently, so I'd be interested to hear what you think about the qualities in his voice that attracts you to the song?

Popular posts from this blog

Musical Analysis #2

Scottish Folk Music