Scottish Folk Music

        When it comes to Scottish music and traditions it all fascinates me. It started when I watched the series "Outlander" on Netflix. I know I know not a great representation of the actual music but from what I did see it's so unique and the instruments like bagpipes have this beautiful sound that I have no familiarity with. I love the dancing that comes with the music and this connection between the people of this culture that is felt when listening to the music. I feel like this music holds this connection between the people who know it and who grew up with it. I also feel like it has this sense of home and comfort to it.

Celtic Music

    Celtic music is another name for Scottish folk music. Their music includes a variation of different musical instruments like bagpipes, tin whistles, and the accordion. Other instruments that are that are often associated with traditional Scottish music are the fiddle, guitar, and drums. Celtic music has origins that can be traced back thousands of years. Wildernessscotland.com written by Meike Burgess states that Scottish folk music has roots in Gaelic, Pictish, Old Scots, and Norse culture. While Reading thecanadianencyclopedia.ca it states that Celtic folk songs have an origin of pentatonic. There is a 5-scale system that then forms 6-note and 7-note scales. it is also stated that this gapped scale system is what really distinguishes the Celtic music. Below is pictured a variety of the musical instruments that are often used in Celtic music.
Auld Lang Syne

    This song is a very popular folk song in Scotland and is often sung for New Year. Although traditionally no connection is written in the song about it being specifically for a new year. The Lyrics are about some old friends who are reminiscing about adventures they've had long ago. The title "Auld Lang Syne" can be loosely translated in English as "for old time's sake". This was originally written as a poem in 1788 by Robert Burns with the inspiration coming from multiple other poems or songs that were written many years before this was. It wasn't until 1799 that the words in the poem were paired with music to make it the song that we hear today. Click here to listen to Auld Lang Syne.

Loch Lomond

    This song is believed to have been written during the Jacobite uprising in the 17th and 18th centuries. It is about how two brothers are captured on a foreign land and one of them gets away while the other one is killed the one that lives chooses to focus on the love that he left behind and the beautiful setting of where their romance took place. I truly love that a lot of these traditional folk songs hold such deep meaning in their land and the relationships that were had during major historical times. A beautiful rendition of this song can be found here.

If you're interested to see what a traditional Scottish dance looks like click here

sources

Comments

Amelie Collard said…
Great blog post! I enjoyed learning about the history of the songs lyrics are. I do not listen to Scottish music very much unless it's an instrumental piece I can play in the background however, I enjoyed the song links given. The only thing I think could make your blog better is more information on the music in traditional dances. When I watched the dance video, the instruments playing in the background were very traditional sounding and not westernized. It would be great to learn about that kind of music as well. Overall, I really enjoyed this blog!
Olivia said…
Although my exposure to Scottish folk music is limited, I thoroughly appreciate the intricate arrangements of this genre's musical instruments. The fiddle, guitar, accordion, and drums are combined tonally and harmoniously to create a genuinely enchanting sound. I found the video featuring the traditional Scottish dance informative and thoroughly enjoyable to watch! Moreover, the bagpipes, with their unique and foreign sound, have always fascinated me, especially their cultural significance in various events and celebrations. I am grateful for the links you provided, which introduced me to the band and Celtic Fusion and Folk Rock genres. In particular, I found Shooglenifty, a Scottish six-piece Celtic fusion band that blends electronica and alternative rock, to be especially intriguing.

Popular posts from this blog

Musical Analysis #2

Musical Analysis #1 "Don't Worry Be Happy"